Cyber Security Researcher
Arlington, Virginia, United States
Full Time Mid-level / Intermediate Clearance required USD 75K - 200K *
STR is hiring a Cyber Security Researcher to be part of a multidisciplinary team of researchers and engineers dedicated to developing cutting-edge technology with significant and immediate impact on our national security. This role offers an excellent opportunity to work at the nexus of software and real-world physical systems.
The ideal Cyber Security Researcher will be motivated to work with a team developing technical solutions in a rapid-prototyping and results-driven environment while also looking to perform their own research and discover novel methods of accomplishing and automating cyber-related analysis tasks. Possible activities include emulating complex software in virtual environments, automating the discovery and extraction of code paths through firmware, and finding ways to automate the reverse engineering of systems. Researchers will be encouraged to identify reverse-engineering bottlenecks and develop their own solution to overcome them. The tools and techniques we develop and deliver are expected to meet high standards of craftsmanship, maintainability, and reuse. Therefore, experience with sound software engineering principles is valuable.
Duties will include:
- Proposing new and novel methods for performing rapid binary analysis and emulation for unique cyber-physical software
- Developing and own a set of reverse engineering and vulnerability research tools from ideation to deployment
- Collaborating with reverse engineers and vulnerability researchers to incorporate feedback into developed tools
- Participating in laboratory tests to collect and analyze real-world data for model verification and validation
- Communicating the novelty and technical foundations of capabilities through reports and presentations to other employees and our customers
- Ability to obtain a Top Secret (TS) security clearance
- BS, MS, or PhD in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, physics, mathematics, or related field
- Proficient in one or more high-level languages (C/C++ and/or Python), as well as their standard libraries
- Experience with one or more software build and debug tools (GCC, Clang, GDB, CMake, Make, Visual Studio)
- Have a general understanding of one of more low-level assembly languages (x86, ARM, MIPS)
- Familiarity with the concepts of reverse engineering, binary emulation, and vulnerability research, including tools such as Ghidra, QEMU, and AFL++.
All STR employees may be subject to COVID-19 vaccination requirement in response to Executive Order 14042 and accompanying Task Force Guidance, unless a medical or religious accommodation is formally approved by STR.
STR is a growing technology company with locations near Boston, MA, Arlington, VA, near Dayton, OH, Melbourne, FL, and Carlsbad, CA. We specialize in advanced research and development for defense, intelligence, and national security in: cyber; next generation sensors, radar, sonar, communications, and electronic warfare; and artificial intelligence algorithms and analytics to make sense of the complexity that is exploding around us.
STR is committed to creating a collaborative learning environment that supports deep technical understanding and recognizes the contributions and achievements of all team members. Our work is challenging, and we go home at night knowing that we pushed the envelope of technology and made the world safer.
STR is not just any company. Our people, culture, and attitude along with their unique set of skills, experiences, and perspectives put us on a trajectory to change the world. We can't do it alone, though - we need fellow trailblazers. If you are one, join our team and help to keep our society safe! Visit us at www.str.us for more info.
STR is an equal opportunity employer. We are fully dedicated to hiring the most qualified candidate regardless of race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any portion of the employment process, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide your contact info.
Pursuant to applicable federal law and regulations, positions at STR require employees to obtain national security clearances and satisfy the requirements for compliance with export control and other applicable laws.
Other jobs like this
Explore more Cyber Security career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cybersecurity in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Operations Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Senior Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Security Analyst jobs
- Open Senior DevSecOps Engineer jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Security Officer 3 jobs
- Open Senior Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Cloud Security Operations Lead jobs
- Open Cloud Security Automation Specialist jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Security Researcher jobs
- Open Security Officer 2 jobs
- Open Senior Cyber Security Infrastructure Architect jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Malware-related jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Audits-related jobs
- Open PCI-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Security assessments-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open CISA-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open GDPR-related jobs
- Open ISO 27001-related jobs
- Open Docker-related jobs
- Open Governance-related jobs
- Open Threat detection-related jobs