Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
MURAL is on a mission to inspire and connect imagination workers globally.
MURAL is a digital workspace for visual collaboration. Our platform and services enable innovative teams to think and collaborate visually to solve important problems. People benefit from MURAL’s speed and ease of use in creating diagrams, which are popular in design thinking and agile methodologies, as well as tools to facilitate more impactful meetings and workshops.
Global enterprises including IBM, USAA, E-Trade, Intuit, SAP, Atlassian, Autodesk and GitHub have embraced visual collaboration to align their teams, plan in real-time, speed up decision making, reduce travel costs and accelerate a culture of innovation. MURAL’s certified enterprise-class cloud-based infrastructure connects 40 percent of Fortune 100 global enterprises, drawing the support of leading investors from Radian Capital, Gradient Ventures, Endeavor Catalyst and others.
MURAL is headquartered in San Francisco and employs over 100 people working remotely across six time zones around the world, including office hubs in Buenos Aires and Europe. We recently raised $23M in a Series A round of financing, so we are ready to take MURAL to the next level.
The CISO will be the lead advocate to guide MURAL’s overall security posture, both internally and externally. This will require a “hands-on” leader who is willing to dig in to not only understand MURAL’s internal security needs, but also the needs of their customers. The CISO will be a trusted advisor, influencer, consensus builder, and an integrator of people, processes, and technology who can drive a culture of “security-first”. One who the executive team, BoD and the overall organization can lean on to better understand security threats and the potential impact on business.
The key to success will be to forge strong relationships across the entire organization to identify security vulnerabilities and potential threats in order to develop a comprehensive strategy for prioritizing business decisions. One who can ensure the utmost integrity of the overall security hygiene while simultaneously, not being a blocker to progress and growth. This bond forged between the Security team and the rest of the MURAL organization will be paramount to ensure the program is aligned on risks, based upon true partnership, and focused on complete transparency.
Position Requirements for the CISO
- Security Domain Expertise: The CISO ideally will possess the following expertise:
- Product Security & Ability to Secure Public Cloud Infrastructure: The CISO shall have an understanding and appreciation of distributed cloud computing architectures and associated product security designs and challenges (specifically around AWS or GCP environments).
- Securing Corporate Assets: Has proficiently implemented world class programs for AppSec, InfoSec, and CorpSec, keeping data safe for MURAL’s assets as well as employees and customers. In order to better the overall security posture the CISO will maintain a passion around effective detection and monitoring throughout MURAL’s corporate and production environments.
- Governance / Risk /Compliance: The CISO will possess a strong knowledge of standards and information security regulations and ensure ongoing company compliance including exposure to controls around Service Organization Control 2 (SOC 2), General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), Federal Risk and Authorization Management Program (FEDRAMP) IS0 27001 and 27018, Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX), Cloud Security Alliance (CSA), and various other laws and regulations including Executive Orders will be ideal.
- Strategic Influencer: The CISO will have experience creating and driving an overall security posture throughout an organization. One who can identify current needs, as well as anticipate future needs. One who can articulate risk and put together a balanced, proper security plan: not overly conservative but business-risk based. This will require excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey complex security related concepts to technical and nontechnical audiences alike. With well-developed interpersonal and collaboration skills to foster relationships across the organization, with the BoD, within the security community, as well as with customers.
- Leadership: The CISO will determine staffing requirements, recruit, hire and manage the overall security organization. As a result, the ideal CISO is a cultivator who has built, leveraged and grown world-class security teams of > 10 FTE’s, with 8+ years of experience in a senior technical security role. Furthermore the CISO will have a high level of personal integrity, with the ability to professionally handle confidential matters and exude the appropriate level of judgment and maturity. The CISO shall possess prior experience in managing other managers with evidence of developing and actively mentoring their former team members.
- Culture Fit: The CISO will be instrumental in fostering a company culture and work environment that promotes MURAL’s commitment to creating diverse and inclusive workspaces where people can make a positive impact on the world and share their vision of how they achieve it. The CISO shall embrace MURAL’s Core Principles.
- Environment / Industry Domain Experience: The ideal candidate shall have prior experience in a senior security leadership role in a high growth technology environment.
External Posture: In addition to the heavily focused internal scope, the CISO will also be responsible for guiding, narrating, and elevating the company’s external security posture and narrative.
WHAT WE OFFER
In addition to being part of our quest to help people empower their imagination, we offer:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Flexible working hours
- Ability to work remotely
- Flexible time off
- A phenomenal learning environment for you to develop
We bring people to our team that care about our mission to inspire and connect creative people globally, and who feel aligned with our values:
- Make Others Successful
- Adapt to Thrive
- Show Up With a Smile
- Generate Wows
- Think Global
- Play to Win and Have Fun
Practicing equality through imagination work.
MURAL is committed to creating diverse and inclusive workspaces where people can make a positive impact on the world and share their vision of how they achieve it. We are dedicated to working alongside multiple communities to help build this dream and bring it to life.