Senior Application Security Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Launched in 2011, Twitch is a global community that comes together each day to create multiplayer entertainment: unique, live, unpredictable experiences created by the interactions of millions. We bring the joy of co-op to everything, from casual gaming to world-class esports to anime marathons, music, and art streams. Twitch also hosts TwitchCon, where we bring everyone together to celebrate, learn, and grow their personal interests and passions. We’re always live at Twitch. Stay up to date on all things Twitch on LinkedIn, Twitter and on our Blog.
About the Role
Twitch is looking for a focused Application Security Engineer with a desire to play on the Blue Team. Maybe you’re a pen-tester who is bored of always winning; maybe you’re the local security advocate within your development organization. However you got to where you are, we want one thing from you - help make Twitch’s products as safe as they can be for our partners and viewers.
You'll apply a holistic security perspective and escort Twitch’s products and features from ideation to deployment. Reporting to our Application Security Manager, you will provide consulting to product teams looking to try new things safely. You will review essential passages of code for safe practices. Most importantly, you will help build the tools that do the above for you as a force multiplier. And yes, where warranted, there’s some pen-testing in it for you as well, if you’re into that.
Please consider the responsibilities detailed below to be a mix of expectations and opportunities. We don’t expect everyone to already be great at everything. Everything sounds great except for one or two things? Please ask about them. Want to support our team without being on it? Please consider other security roles at Twitch.
- Conduct application security assessments across all Twitch products and services.
- Work with departments and improve threat analysis interviews with the product team to perform risk assessment, threat models, and identify common use and abuse cases.
- Locate weaknesses by using diverse tactics including both manual and automated methods (code review, static scans, fuzzing, penetration test, etc.)
- Balance offensive and defensive methods to locate potential weaknesses.
- Implement creative solutions for our security needs
- Create, prototype and operate security review capabilities, tooling and automation.
- Analyze the results of security reviews and related findings, document and advise product team of vulnerabilities, exploitability, risk and mitigation.
- Manage external reports of security vulnerabilities, guiding remediation and making decisions on bug bounties.
- Continuously enhance and mature our Application security program.
- Encourage a security culture to the departments; train and instill essential security values in engineers including exercising risk-based judgments, emphasizing trust and safety in product designs, and prioritizing security remediation work.
- Help develop security standards, preferred implementation patterns, secure common frameworks, and developer documentation and education materials.
- Never stop learning! Stay informed about the latest developments in the information security field.
- 5+ years relevant experience doing information security work or equivalent BS degree in Information Security, Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other related fields
- 3+ years of demonstrated application security experience
- Knowledge of network and web protocols, and an in-depth knowledge of Linux/Unix tools and architecture.
- Software development proficiency (Go, Ruby, Python, Java, C#, Obj-C/Swift).
- Comprehension of algorithms and processes for programmatic automation through scripting or programming languages (Python, Ruby, shell)
- Diverse background in cloud, host, network, and application security.
- MS degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or 5+ years of equivalent technology experience.
- Background in DevOps on AWS platforms and services.
- Knowledge of internet security issues and threat landscape
- Independent project management capability
- Medical, Dental, Vision & Disability Insurance, 401(k)
- Maternity & Parental Leave
- Flexible PTO, Commuter Benefits
- Amazon Employee Discount, Monthly Contribution & Discounts for Wellness Related Activities & Programs (e.g., gym memberships, off-site massages)
- Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner Served Daily
- Free Snacks & Beverages
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Twitch. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.