Senior Engineering Manager, Security Engineering
We’re searching for a passionate and experienced Senior Engineering Manager to lead a number of our security engineering teams.
Monzo is on a mission. We want to make people’s money work better for them. We’re building a financial control centre that helps customers make smart choices about their financial lives, and banking is our first of many products that bring this mission to life.
One of the guiding principles of security at Monzo is that security at the expense of user experience is a last resort. We aim to move mountains in the background so that we can build world-class features without compromising on security.
We’re looking for Senior Engineering Managers with a specialism in at least one area of security engineering.
At present we have 4 engineering teams in Security working on Infrastructure, Threat Detection, Identity & Access and Application Security. We’re currently starting a 5th team focused on Product Security and want to create more specialised teams over the next 12 months. Your role will be to manage one or more of these teams as well as helping us bootstrap and lead future teams.
Monzo is in an incredibly unique position of being a custodian of people’s money, but also their financial data; both of which are highly valuable to frauders, thieves and organised crime syndicates.
What you’ll do
- Lead a team of high performing software engineers directly, as well as managing other engineering manager(s).
- Take accountability for technical delivery across your group of teams, collaborating with technical leads, your EM(s), other leaders across Security and the wider engineering organisation as well as the Chief Information Security Officer.
- Actively foster a high bar for engineering excellence within your teams.
- Support, coach and develop engineers and engineering managers through their career with regular 1:1s and continuous feedback.
- Partner with senior engineers in your area to drive technical initiatives that raise the bar for our engineering practices
- Lead on communication with stakeholders from other teams, creating focus space for engineers to do their best work.
- Collaborate with the wider engineering organisation to contribute to company-wide best managerial and technical practices and standards.
You should apply if
- you have experience managing the performance and development of 8+ high-performing engineers, including senior+ engineers and engineering managers
- you know what good looks like for a high-performing team of engineers and know how to get there
- you have previously worked as a software engineer at a senior level
- you have an empathetic leadership style and you build strong, effective relationships
- you care deeply about helping others achieve their goals and become the best engineers they can be
Salary ranges between £120,000 - £140,000 plus stock options and other benefits.
We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
This role can be based in our London office or it can be remote, whatever works for you.
We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
The interview process consists of a 30 min recruiter call, 60 minute video call, followed by 3 hours of technical, management and leadership interviews over video call. Sometimes, we arrange a follow-up interview to discuss the feedback before making a final decision.
What is engineering management like at Monzo?
Monzo is a product, engineering and design led business, with a global ambition.
We’re building a bank for and with our users. A product that’s fair, transparent and a pleasure to use. We see ourselves as something more than a typical current account: we’re setting out to solve all the problems that exist around your financial life in a coherent, meaningful and delightful way.
You’ll be working on a product that is a part of day to day life for more than five million people already, and your work here will shape the way that people interact with their finances.
Engineers and Engineering Managers at Monzo are part of cross-functional, autonomous teams and groups. Our teams are mission driven, and typically include Product Managers, backend, web and mobile engineers as well as data scientists, designers and subject matter experts relevant to that mission. Teams are organised into groups, and then collectives - we aim to keep our line management structure as shallow as possible, and for teams to directly own decision making relevant to their work.
Engineering Managers are accountable for the technical and delivery outcomes for their area - that means supporting and developing best in class engineering talent, as well as creating an inclusive team environment for people to do their best work. You’ll be responsible for structuring, organising, supporting and challenging your team to deliver on their mission.
You can read more on the expectations of Engineering Managers on our Progression Framework.
Equal Opportunity Statement
At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Other jobs like this
Senior Information Security EngineerAnalytics Application security Auditing Audits Automation Big Data CCSP Code analysis CompTIA Docker +17
Career development Competitive pay Flex hours Startup environment Team events
Explore more Cyber Security career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cybersecurity in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Senior DevSecOps Engineer jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Senior Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Cyber Security Analyst jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Cloud Security Automation Specialist jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Azure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Cloud Security Operations Lead jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Application security-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Audits-related jobs
- Open PCI-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Security assessments-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs
- Open CEH-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open GDPR-related jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open Threat detection-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open OSCP-related jobs
- Open Intrusion detection-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs
- Open Machine Learning-related jobs