Principal Security Engineer
Flexible - Any SpaceX Site
SpaceXSpaceX designs, manufactures and launches advanced rockets and spacecraft. The company was founded in 2002 to revolutionize space technology, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets.
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
PRINCIPAL SECURITY ENGINEER
SpaceX is hiring a principal security engineer to join the security engineering team to help protect and drive the SpaceX mission. Our engineers are responsible for building innovative security solutions to protect against threats to our rockets, spacecraft, and our global satellite internet constellation, Starlink. As a highly visible and dynamic organization, we must value and guard against damage to our internal information, our physical hardware, and our reputation and brand. Finally, it is paramount that we defend against loss of control or confidence in our systems, to guarantee the highest probability of success.
As a Security Engineer, you will focus on the "behind the scenes" technologies that ensure our networks and systems are up to industry and SpaceX standards. You will be responsible for providing high-criticality and high-risk services, with the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of those services in mind. This role will partner with various application development and customer groups across SpaceX to ensure that the technologies and systems we build in-house or purchase and deploy in-house are designed and maintained in a secure way that minimizes risk.
Design, build, and maintain technology solutions and systems that provide security for SpaceX systems, networks, and data. This can include:
- Authentication and Identity Services, including Muti-Factor solutions, Network Access Control identity servers, and related authentication and authorization technologies.
- Identity lifecycle management services and automation. Build and maintain scripts and automation that support the information security mission across SpaceX, to be utilized by information security teammates and other partner organizations.
- Network security systems and the backend infrastructure that powers such services.
- Application level security controls (e.g. Web Application Firewalls).
- Cloud deployments security policy enforcement, centralized configuration management, monitoring, etc.
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for those solutions, maintaining documentation on them and advising others on their underlying technologies and operation.
- Work with security and IT teams to identify threats and problem areas, using that feedback to further strengthen tools and technologies. Materialize this as improvements which result in stronger and safer software and application deployments across SpaceX, measuring in decreased risk and prevalence of issues.
- Create solutions that are scalable, repeatable, maintainable, and secure.
- Work collaboratively with other teams, including individuals in information security, physical security, information technology, human resources, legal, software, and others.
- Bachelor’s degree in information systems, information security, computer science, engineering or equivalent technical field of study and 6+ years of information security, networking and/or systems administration experience; OR 8+ years of information security experience without a degree.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience building automation between tools and systems.
- Experience performing analytics against aggregated log data, and building configurations to parse and handle log data from systems and tools.
- Familiarity with enterprise security controls and security best practices for Windows, Linux, and Mac systems.
- Familiarity with cloud security services, concepts, and best practices.
- Strong familiarity with Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) processes and source control technologies.
- Track record of getting things done quickly and with quality.
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a dynamic, evolving environment.
- Ethical character and uncompromised integrity.
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.
Other jobs like this
Senior Azure Cloud Security EngineerAnsible Automation AWS Azure CircleCI DevOps Docker Encryption GCP Incident response +9
401(k) matching Career development Equity Flex hours Flex vacation +6
Product Security Engineer - Top Secret ClearanceC Clearance Exploit Golang Product security Python Security Clearance TCP/IP Top Secret Top Secret Clearance +1
Explore more Cyber Security career opportunities
Find open roles in Ethical Hacking, Pen Testing, Security Engineering, Threat Research, Vulnerability Analysis, Cryptography, Digital Forensics and Cybersecurity in general, filtered by job title or popular skill, toolset and products used.
- Open Cyber Security Engineer jobs
- Open Staff Application Security Engineer jobs
- Open Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Senior DevSecOps Engineer jobs
- Open Application Security Engineer/Architect jobs
- Open Senior Security Operations Engineer jobs
- Open Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Staff Security Engineer jobs
- Open Head of Information Security jobs
- Open Lead Security Engineer jobs
- Open SOC Analyst jobs
- Open Cyber Security Analyst jobs
- Open Information System Security Officer (ISSO) jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Penetration Tester jobs
- Open Sr. Security Engineer jobs
- Open Cloud Security Automation Specialist jobs
- Open Senior Threat Intelligence Analyst jobs
- Open Offensive Security Engineer jobs
- Open Information Security Officer jobs
- Open Cloud Security Operations Lead jobs
- Open Azure Security Engineer jobs
- Open Senior Information Security Analyst jobs
- Open Cybersecurity Analyst jobs
- Open DevOps-related jobs
- Open Application security-related jobs
- Open Analytics-related jobs
- Open Audits-related jobs
- Open PCI-related jobs
- Open OWASP-related jobs
- Open Threat intelligence-related jobs
- Open Clearance-related jobs
- Open Security assessments-related jobs
- Open IDS-related jobs
- Open Forensics-related jobs
- Open Splunk-related jobs
- Open Ruby-related jobs
- Open CEH-related jobs
- Open Encryption-related jobs
- Open CISM-related jobs
- Open GDPR-related jobs
- Open Agile-related jobs
- Open Open Source-related jobs
- Open Threat detection-related jobs
- Open OSCP-related jobs
- Open Intrusion detection-related jobs
- Open Machine Learning-related jobs
- Open DevSecOps-related jobs