Manager, Cyber Security Operations and Incident Response
Hawthorne, CA, United States
Posted 2 months ago
SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
Manager, Cyber Security Operations and Incident Response
We are a target of nation states and other cyber criminals, focused on everything from financial crime and brand destruction to space-launch capability. It is paramount that we defend against loss of control or confidence in our systems, in order to guarantee the highest probability of success – in addition to the value and competitive edge our intellectual property affords us.
The Manager of Cyber Security Operations is responsible for managing Information Security professional staff, processes, and technologies to defend and protect SpaceX systems and information assets against cyber-attack and adversaries. This individual will be a subject matter expert in incident response and cybersecurity defense, and will lead a team of security professionals to design and execute best-in-class network/systems monitoring, preventative and detective controls, forensics and investigations, vulnerability management and cyber threat intelligence activities. The role will drive the creation and execution of plans for incident response and leading the incident response team through major incidents. The manager will develop and maintain key relationships with external cyber security organizations and federal/state law enforcement and regulatory agencies. The manager is operationally focused in the defense of SpaceX’s network while strategically positioning the organization in preparation for increasing complexity and emerging threats.
- Lead the design and execution of the enterprise security operations processes, procedures, and playbooks
- Oversee and lead the security operations team in identification and response to cyber threat activities and incident response
- Lead and manage technology vulnerability identification and remediation/patching of priority vulnerabilities
- Define and maintain the roadmap of program and technology changes being driven by the SOC and incident response information security organization
- Develop and lead cyber threat intelligence efforts to identify and analyze long-term and short-term cyber threat actor groups, techniques and tactics to inform information security defenses and technology decisions
- Manage team of analysts and subject matter specialists to ensure continued success and growth
- Manage security operations projects, including process improvement and technology investment
- Develop and communicate to peers, business partners, and management aspects of cyber defense, including crisis/incident communications, investigative results and training and awareness of the cyber threat landscape
- Promote team growth. Triage and resolve escalations of issues. Enable the team to work in a collaborative way with other groups within security, information technology, legal, etc.
- Provide management with weekly, monthly and quarterly metrics for both risk and performance, and measurements of colleague performance
- Manage and maintain relationships with external sources of information security information that can be used to manage our security program
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, security, or similar computer-related field of study and 5+ years of information security experience; OR 8+ years of information security experience without a degree
- 3+ years of incident response, event management, and malware analysis experience in a fast-paced cyber operations environment
- Experience with SIEM tools and abilities, such as the Elastic Stack.
- Experience in a formal leadership role managing direct reports
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Certifications: GCIH, CCNA, C|EH, CISA, GPEN, CHFI
- Mastery of incident response methodologies, best practices and routines
- Advanced level of understanding in cyber specialization and several cyber related disciplines to investigate and analyze all response activities related to cyber incidents
- Mastery at directing and coordinating technical response teams to develop quick containment solutions to cyber security incidents
- Expert at identifying various types of events and incidents and applying the right response framework for each (i.e. information mishandling, security vulnerability, system exploit, malware infection, etc.)
- Basic to advanced reverse engineering with deep understanding of IOC’s, Cyber Kill Chain, and preventive and detective technical controls
- Digital forensics or enterprise investigation experience
- Ability to work effectively with technical and non-technical staff
- In-depth familiarity with workflow tools and ability to develop and improve tools/processes
- Familiarity with industry organizations and individuals that can be leveraged for knowledge sharing and support
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with mastery of the ability to tailor the context of the conversation to the audience
- Experience with socializing awareness campaigns
- Ability to think outside the box and develop solutions to accomplish seemingly impossible tasks, while remaining risk and objective focused
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.